5.17.2011

I should really start a "TV For Your Moods" blog...

So... No updates for two years. Hulu, anime, work, and a kid have all conspired to scuttle my movie watching.

In that case, let me present you with some shows that are awesome that you may not be watching:
Naruto (Subtitled): Story of an orphaned ninja kid striving for acceptance by his village. Tons of well-rounded characters you get invested in, compelling story with each plot arc flowing from one into the other, revealing an overarching story breathtaking in its magnitude and cohesiveness. While there is a bit of filler in this series, (85 episodes in a row at one point) the main plot arcs must be watched. This and Naruto Shippuden are easily the best show I've ever seen. And I've watched LOTS of shows.

Naruto Shippuden (Subtitled): Picking up 3 years after the events of Naruto, the same cast continues the story. The characters have matured, the stakes are higher, the soundtrack is heartrending, and the filler is exponentially less than the original series. This show is liquid gold. Watch Naruto, push through or skip the filler, and get to this show. It's more than worth it. I love this show so much, I actually wait to watch it until I can watch it friends so I can share the experience. No other show makes me cry, clap, and jump out of my chair to cheer. Watch it. Watch it now.

Battlestar Galactica (Reboot): Okay, I admit that I love sci-fi. So, the idea of a show in which the human race is looking for Earth so they can rebuild after being nearly annihilated by androids they created and pissed off is pretty compelling to me. What makes the show different from a lot of sci-fi is that the "sci" part is less important than the story. The characters are human -- even the androids. The story and soundtrack are compelling. This is another show that'll move you. Totally worth the watch. Just be sure to stop before the last 3 minutes of the series finale, unless you want to ruin this awesome-coated awesome with the director's ham-fisted editorializing.

Firefly: Tragically cut off in its prime, another show about humans living in space, trying to get by. Stellar cast, near-flawless writing by the incomparable Joss Whedon.

Arrested Development: Quite possibly the most hilarious show to grace the small screen.

Community: Runner-up for most hilarious show. Made final 4 on Hulu's Best in Show, moving up from the top 12 last year. I'm pushing for a win next year. Which will probably only happen if Chuck goes off the air (i.e., if NBC gets shut down. In which case, Community would also go off the air. So it'll probably never win. Damn.)

30 Rock: I came late to 30 Rock. The promos turned me off as trying too hard and missing. But it's the kind of humor that you need to see in context, and, in context, it's priceless. Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey, and Tracy Morgan. If you're looking for something more, your television diet is either cooking shows or reality TV, in which case I commend you or pity you, respectively.

Parks and Recreation: After a pretty rough first season, which set it up to be a disappointing clone of The Office, Parks and Rec really came into its own with season two, finding its own flavor. Few shows make me laugh out loud, but the comedic gems which are fired at you with little or no warning never fail to elicit an explosive laugh. Skip the first season, and enjoy.

Fringe: Another late breaker, it's damn good TV by season three. It's got everything you've come to expect from J. J. Abrams. If you know what that means, you're probably already watching it.

Well, that's it for now. More as I think of them.

No comments: